top of page

Getting the answers you need, when you need them.

  • Who is eligible for membership at NYU FCU?
    You are eligible for membership if... You're an employee, faculty, staff or student at NYU You're an Alumni or retired employee of NYU You're an Immediate family of a NYU FCU member (including spouse, parents, children, stepchildren, grandchildren, step grandchildren, grandparents, step brothers, brothers, step sisters, and sisters) You're an individual who resides in and shares financial responsibility of a household with a NYU FCU member.
  • How can I join the Credit Union?
    In order to join NYU FCU, you must first be eligible for membership. Membership is open to all NYU students, faculty, staff, alumni, retirees, and their immediate family members. If you are eligible for membership, please complete an application by clicking Become a Member.
  • How do I sign up for Online Banking?
    For first time users, your credentials are set as the default: Username: first 3 letters of your first name + first 3 letters of your last name + year you were born (ie. John Smith 1989 >> johsmi1989) Password: Last 6 digits of your SSN Upon signing in, you will be prompted to change your password. You can change your username in the settings after logging in. If you already have an active Online Banking account and are locked out, please call the branch for assistance.
  • How can I change my address?
    You can update your address in the settings of your account in the Online Banking, or complete a Change of Address form.
  • I heard NYU FCU has a Citibike discount. How do I get a code?
    Sure! NYU FCU is a Community Development Credit Union (CDCU), so Citibike has provided us with discount codes for low income members. To receive a discount code, please complete the Citibike Affidavit to certify that you are a low income member, and our team will email you a discount code!
  • Do I have to close my account if I leave NYU?
    Once a member, always a member! You can keep your NYU FCU membership after you graduate, retire, or leave NYU. If you've closed your account after leaving NYU, and want to reopen your account, you will need to be eligible for membership again.
  • How can I make a withdrawal?
    You can make a withdrawal in several ways: Visit an ATM - View our "Account Access" page for an ATM near you. Request a check withdrawal in a branch or through Secure Messenger in the Online Banking Visit an NYU FCU or Shared Branch to withdraw in cash
  • Are there transaction limits on my debit card?
    Yes, the default limits on your card are $2,500 per day for point-of-sale transactions, and $1,000 per day for ATM withdrawals. If you need to temporarily raise your limit (ie for a large purchase, or travel) please reach out to our Member Experience team.
  • Can I increase my sending limit on Zelle?
    Yes, a Member Experience Representative can increase your sending limit on Zelle. Please give us a call to verify or raise your sending limit.
  • What information do I need to receive an ACH or wire transfer?
    If you are receiving an ACH transfer or a wire transfer at NYU FCU, please make sure to supply the sender with the following: Routing number: 226082129 Receiving Financial Institution: NYU Federal Credit Union Address of Financial Institution: 726 Broadway, Suite 110, New York, NY 10003 Final Credit to: Your name and your NYU FCU account number Please note there is a $10 charge for incoming international wire transfers. The NYU Federal Credit Union does not have a SWIFT code, international financial institutions must transfer funds to their US correspondent bank, who would then wire the funds with the above information.
  • What is the NYU FCU Routing Number?
    Our routing number is 226082129.
  • Does NYU FCU have a SWIFT code?
    We do not have a SWIFT code. If you are sending funds to NYU FCU internationally, the foreign bank will need to send the funds to an intermediary bank first.
  • Why is my available balance $0, when there is $50 in my account?
    The minimum balance requirement for all members is $50. This $50 is frozen in the account and only accessible if you choose to close the account.
  • How can I close my account?
    We're sorry to see you go! You can close your account by completing an Account Closing Form. Our team will send a check of the remaining funds in your account to the address you indicate on the form. Please note that there is a $25 Early Closing fee for accounts that have been opened for less than 6 months.
  • My account is dormant. What should I do?
    Your account will be classified as dormant if you do not make at least one transaction in a 12 month period. As a result of dormancy, your account will be charged a $10 fee per month of inactivity. These fees will not be refunded. To prevent dormancy, NYU FCU sends email reminders when you've gone some time without making a transaction. If your account is currently dormant, you will need to do the following: Fill out this DORMANT ACCOUNT NOTICE Complete an ID Verification (provided by Member Experience Team upon completion of your form) Make a transaction on your account (deposit, withdrawal, purchase, or transfer) If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to our Member Experience Team.
  • How can I establish an IRA Account?
    To establish an account, send a message through online banking, stop by the branch or give us a call and we will provide you with the necessary IRA account paperwork. You must be a NYU FCU member to set up the account.
  • Is there a penalty for withdrawing from my traditional IRA before I retire?
    The purpose of an IRA is to save for retirement, so this tax-advantaged savings vehicle is specifically designed to discourage investors from withdrawing funds before turning age 59½. If you do so, the IRS imposes a 10 percent penalty on top of the income taxes you pay on the withdrawal. There are some exceptions that allow early withdrawal without penalty, so please speak with a tax professional for more details
  • I make too much money to qualify for an IRA tax deduction. Can I contribute to my traditional IRA?
    Yes. There are no income limits to make contributions to a traditional IRA. Your ability to make deductions may be affected by filing status and your participation in an employer retirement plan.
  • When am I required to begin withdrawing money from my traditional IRA?
    You must begin to annually withdraw a required minimum distribution (RMD) from your IRA once you turn 70½ years of age. RMD guidelines, set by the IRS, ensure that investors don't use an IRA as a permanent shelter from income taxes.
  • Can I name a beneficiary for my IRA?
    Yes. There are specific rules and forms to ensure that your IRA funds are dispersed to your intended beneficiary, in case of death. You can use the Individual Retirement Account Beneficiary Designation/Change form to select your beneficiary.
  • Is there a limit on the number of IRA rollovers that can be done?
    Yes. Effective January 1, 2015, the IRS imposed the new IRA Rollover rule which stipulates that an IRA owner may complete only one IRA-to-IRA rollover per 365 days, regardless of how many IRAs you own, without differentiating between Traditional, Roth and SEP IRAs. This change of only one rollover per year will only affect rollovers, and will not have any impact on trustee-to-trustee transfers. The once-per-365-day rule does not apply to the direct rollover of 401(k) funds to a Traditional IRA.
  • Are there any prepayment penalties?
    No, there are no prepayment penalties.
  • How can I make payments on my loan?
    You can make payments to your loan in multiple ways: Set up an External Transfer from a bank of your choice in the Online Banking - You can choose to make one-time or recurring payments Send money via Zelle to your NYU FCU account Enroll in a Payroll Deduction: Provide your employer the routing and account number Pay by check at a branch or by mail. Payments are credited as of the date the check is received. Complete an ACH Request Form Visit a Shared Branch. Find a Branch Near You
  • How long is the loan process?
    After receiving your application and all requested documents, you should receive your loan decision within 2-3 business days. If you would like to follow up on the status of your loan, please give us a call.
  • Is there an application fee?
    The only loan type that has a $25 application fee is the Quick Cash Loan. All other loan types do not require a fee.
  • How often can I apply for a loan?
    While you can apply for a loan as often as you'd like, please keep in mind that each new application requires a new credit report (unless you are submitting more than one application within 30 days of our last credit pull - in that case, we will use the same credit report for the new application). When we pull new credit report, you will have a new inquiry added, which can cause your credit score to decrease. With that said, we suggest only applying when it is necessary.
  • I signed for my Personal Loan, how do I access the funds?
    Your personal loan funds will be made available in your Shares (savings) account. You can access the funds by: Visiting an NYU FCU Branch to pick up a check. Accessing your funds at an ATM. Check out the Account Access options. Set up an External Account Transfer Initiate a Wire Transfer
  • I signed for my Bill Consolidation Loan, how are my debts being paid?
    Once your loan is finalized, the companies of the debts that have been consolidated will be sent checks by USPS mail. This can take 3 or more weeks to arrive and post to your account. Due to this delay, we advise that if a payment is upcoming and due, that you make the payment. Once the checks are received, the companies will most likely refund any overpayments made to the debts.
  • How can I make a principal-only payment?
    Principal-only payments can only be made by a representative. If you are transferring money from an external account, transfer the funds into your shares account. Then, send a secure message requesting to have a principal-only payment made to your loan.
  • My loan was transferred at closing, where do I make my payments?
    At closing, you will be notified whether your loan will be serviced at NYU FCU, or with our partner, UNFCU. If your loan is being serviced at NYU FCU, you will make payments at NYU FCU. If your loan is being serviced at UNFCU, you will make payments at UNFCU. If you need to contact UNFCU to set up payments, please email
  • Do you run my credit when I apply for a preapproval?
    Yes, your credit will be run as it is a formal application.
  • I received a tax bill, what should I do?
    If your mortgage is serviced at NYU FCU, and you have an escrow account, we will pay the tax bill and homeowners insurance. Please send us a copy of the bill, and we will take care of it for you! If your mortgage is serviced at UNFCU, and you have an escrow account, please forward the bill to If you do not have an escrow account, you are responsible for making the payment on your own.
bottom of page